School Year 2017
10 August 2017
7 January 2017
School Year 2016
6 April 2016
6 January 2016
School Year 2015
14 April 2015
School Year 2014
School Year 2013
Welcome back to the 3rd academic term of 13 weeks (24 Jun till 1 Aug & 17 Aug till 5 Oct).
To all our Muslim staff, students and parents – Selamat Berpuasa and Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri (2 Aug – 16 Aug). Please note that we will be having our Parents’ Day on Friday, 28 June from 8.00 am to 11.15 am (for Sec & Upper Pry) and from 2 pm to 4.30 pm (for the Lower Pry). The Sec and Lower Pry will be in the DOKK Hall while the Upper Pry will be in the classrooms. Parents are encouraged to attend this yearly meeting with your children (in full uniform) to meet the class teachers concerned to collect their report books/sheets. The aim is for the parents to have contact with teachers as we work together to build and instill good educational and social values for the students of SAS. Report books/grade sheets will only be released upon full settlement of June fees.
3rd term sees the opening of new admissions for 2014, to all levels except Yr 6, Yr 8 & Yr 11 (examination classes). Admissions are based on interviews (appointments made with the Principal’s Secretary) and written examinations held in October, 2013. Parents are to accompany the child/children to the interviews with the child’s academic mid-year results and copy of birth certificate for an admission form to be issued by the Principal. All admission forms must be returned to the Principal’s Secretary by/before end August 2013 and in return, parents will be informed by letters on the date and time of the entrance exam.
We value good positive support from parents in ensuring strong academic education for your child at SAS.
Congratulations to all our achievers.
Below is a summarized list of achievements :
1. Cambridge Outstanding Achiever Awards
a) Best Across Seven Cambridge O Levels 1st place – Audrey Teo Pei Qing (Yr 11G 2012)
b) Top Ten in the World in Maths (D) – Aaron Lim Zi Yao (Yr 11E 2012)
2. Anugerah Pelajar Cemerlang Sekolah-Sekolah Rendah dan Menengah Swasta Senegara Kementerian Pendidikan NBD 2012 at UBD.
a) 39 5A students from Yr 6 2012 will receive their awards on 4 July at UBD.
b) 18 students from Yr 11 2012 will also receive their awards on 4 July. (8 O levels with at least 2A*).
3. Commonwealth Essay Writing Competition 2013 – Women in Leadership Tang Sze Lin of Yr 11G was the winner of the 15-17 age group category in “Women in Leadership Essay Writing organized by the Commonwealth Secretariat’s 10th Commonwealth Women’s Affairs Ministers Meeting (10WAMM). She attended the meeting/prize presentation held from 17 – 19 June 2013 at Dhaka, Bangladesh with all expenses paid for by the Commonwealth Secretariat.
4. Princess Rashidah Young Nature Scientist Award (PRYNSA) 2012
SAS emerged as the 2nd runner-up in the PRYNSA 2012 competition.
The prize presentation was held on 22 April 2013 at the Empire Hotel & Country Club.
The students and supervising teachers received trophies, certificates, book vouchers, a laptop and a cash prize of $2,000.
The students were Haziqah binti Omar Ali, Koh Wan Chin, Tang Sze Lin, Chong Tze Wei, Ting Kuan Ning, Wayne Jason Jong, Tay Kin Guan & Lew Kid Teck (all from Yr 11G). The teachers-in-charge were Mrs Lorene Chin and Mrs Jishamol.
5. My Small World National Spelling Bee 2013 – 12 May at UBD
Yr 1 – 3 level: Katelyn Teoh Shu Hui of Yr 3,
1st in school level & 2nd in Open level Yr 4 -6 level: Candyce Liaw Chyia Chyi of Yr 5G,
3rd in school level Asma Shariff of Yr 4Y, 1st in Open level Kasyful Hadil Amin of Yr 5B,
2nd in Open level Gabriel Chan Ching Pei of Yr 4G,
3rd in Open level Teachers-in-charge were Ms Mary Wong, Mrs Soh Wai Ling, Mrs Chai, & Mrs Kamalam.
6. Kejohanan Sukan Sekolah-Sekolah Asean Kali Ke 5, Hanoi, Vietnam Christine Wong Vui San of Yr 8B was selected to represent Brunei in athletics and Lydia Hii of Yr 11E in table Tennis at Hanoi, Vietnam from 22 June to 30 June.
7. U-12 Junior Athletics Meet for Primary Schools, 2013 (Brunei Zone 1) It was organized by Co-curriculum Dept for both government & private schools in Brunei Zone 1 on Sunday 9 June 2013. St Georges’ School hosted the Meet. 16 schools participated.
We sent a total of 20 students (11 boys & 9 girls) and bagged 3 gold, 3 silver and 3 bronze medals.
Gold 100M(B): Ak Abdul Haziq bin Pg Kamaruddin, Yr 6G 200M(B): Ak Abdul Haziq bin Pg Kamaruddin , Yr 6G 100M(G): Renee Li Rui En, Yr 5Y
Silver 200M(G): Renee Li Rui En, Yr 5Y 400M (G): Jestica Daniel, Yr 6B 4x400M relay (G): Jestica Daniel, Yr 6B Halle Chong Yi Hong, Yr 6Y Phylicia Chong Su Xin, Yr 6B Wong Zi Jing, Yr 5B Bronze Discus (B): Peter Wong Joon Sheng, Yr 6G 4x100M relay (B): Ng Jia Jie, Yr 6B Ak Abdul Haziq bin Pg Kamaruddin, Yr 6G Ak Muhammad Syazwi Azizan bin Pg Samayuda, Yr 6G Ak Muhammad Afiq bin Pg Hj Noor Arriffin, Yr 5R 4X100M RELAY (G): Reene Li Rui En, Yr 5Y Viona Chai Choo Chen, Yr 6Y Bianca Paula Navarro Marvida, Yr 6R Nuraqilah Safwanah binti Abdullah Md Zimmy, Yr 5G Ak Abdul Haziq bin Pg Kamaruddin received a trophy for Best Athlete (Boys).
Teachers-in-charge were Mr Wong Tee Sen, Mr Jack Salleh, and teachers who helped were Mr Subing, Mrs Soh Wai Ling, Ms Mary Wong, Mdm Kong Swee Cheng, Mrs Susie Yap, Mrs Yasmin and Dk Siti Ra’inah.
8. Tap Mentor Perancangan Kewangan
It was organized by TAP. Its aim is to encourage saving and spending wisely and to educate the participants on financial planning.
Our team consists of Jesy Lasari (Yr 9B), Qudsiyah Tassim (Yr 11G), Rachelia A Jumanti & Shiobhan Low Xi Wen (Y 11E).
It was divided into 3 rounds:
a) Debate (40%) held on 23 March at the Min of Finance. SAS beat SM PJN Hj Abu Bakar, KB (2 – 1). Jesy Lasari was voted best speaker for that round.
b) Financial Explorace (60%) held on 26 March at Taman Jubli. SAS emerged as champion winning a cash award of $600.
c) The $ Factor (final round) held on 6 April at RTB. We were the 1st runner-up and received a cash award of $800 and a trophy. The teacher-in-charge was Mrs Jane Huong and Cikgu Hjh Normah Aziz assisted in the training in the debate and competition which were conducted in Bahasa Melayu.
9. Peraduan Mari Bercerita – 9 May at SR Rimba 2 Consolation: Ak Muhd Nufail bin Pg Nasran Zainul-Hairi, Yr 6R Aina Nashua bt Hj Masr, Yr 6R They each received a cash award of $100, a trophy and a certificate. Teachers-in-charge were Mdm Chong Sook Tin & Mdm Chua Lian Moi.
10. Interschool Junior Badminton Competition – 20 April at Pulaie Sports Complex Girls Single Silver medal: Jestica Danial, Yr 6Y Teachers-in-charge were Mrs Yasmin and Mrs Koo
11. Hari Lautan Sedunia 2013 – Drawing Competition Category B Silver medal: Yeo Yeo Chiew, Yr 7B She won a silver medal, a certificate and a cash award of B$300.
12. ICT Project (Science Cyber Wizards Camp)
2nd SAS Team (Arif Ang, Lyam Lim, Arifa Ang & Jacqueline Kuan) Yr 10G Received certificates, individual medals & a cash award of B$200.
Teacher-in-charge was Mr Jesudass We have had an active 2nd term with the following activities carried out –
1. Inter-school Netball Competition for the Primary level held from 3 to 6 June at the National Stadium was organized by C0-Curriculum Dept and hosted by SAS.
2. A group of 48 girls and 7 teachers with Mr Nicholas Choo from Paya Lebar Methodist Girls’ School, Singapore visited SAS. On Wednesday afternoon 29 May, they painted 7 flower beds and helped to create a science study corner for the Primary. On Thursday morning, 30 May, they did team building games with the Yr 4 students as part of the Children’s Day activities.
3. Children’s Day/Family Day was celebrated by the Lower Primary and Kindergarten on Thursday afternoon, 30/May in the school. The activities included parents’ & pupils’ fashion show, clown show, senamrobik, class parties, bouncers and face painting. Many parents joined in the celebration. The expenses were sponsored by some generous parents.
4. A signing ceremony on a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for the Up-coming 3-on-3 Streetball Challenge was held in the DOKK Hall on 3 June by KFC, Fitness Zone (Wu Chun), the Brunei Basketball Association and the co-organiser of the Interschool 3-on3 Streetball Challenge and witnessed by the Principal, Ms Jane. The Deputy Chairman of BoG, Mr Stephen Ong, the Deputy Principal and Assistant Deputy Principal, with teachers and members of the Basketball Club were present during the ceremony. A basketball clinic was conducted for the students in the basketball court by the National coach after the ceremony.
5. All staff attended the Teachers’ Retreat 2013 at Taman Mini Perangan Kg Parit on Friday morning, 7 June from 7.30 am to 11.30 am. It was a get-together outing for all the staff, to have a break from their busy schedule.
6. The Entrepreneurship Fair was held on Tuesday, 11 June in the DOKK Hall and foyer from 9 am to 2.30 pm. Students from Yr 10 & 11 set up stalls to sell food & drinks, toys, games. etc. The aim was to allow the students a chance to get a feel of the business world.
7. SAS observed World Envirnoment Day on Wednesday, 12 June. Students and teachers came to school in green t-shirts. Secondary students were asked to write essays and Primary pupils did some projects on environment.
8. The Secondary section held their Talentine Contest on Thursday, 13 June from 9 am to 10 am in DOKK Hall. This event gave an opportunity to the secondary students to showcase their talents and portray their artistic ability in singing, dancing and instrumental playing. The Upper Pry Junior Talentine Contest will be held on Saturday, 6 July.
9. 4 students from Yr 10G (Arif Ang, Lyam Lim, Arifa Ang & Jacqueline Kuan) attended the Science Cyber Wizards Camp 2013 at SMK Sayyidina Husain, Mukim Sengkurong from 15 to 18 June during the 2nd term holidays. Teachers-in-charge were Mrs Sindhu and Mrs Priya.
10. 2 students from Yr 8R (Muhammad Akmal & Dk Nor Hamadah) attended the Nature Camp organized by the Forestry Dept at Berakas Forest Recreation Park (camp site) from 15 to 17 June 2013. The teacher-in-charge was Ms Maxie.
11. A group of 15 Yr 9 & 10 students joined the Mini SME Exhibition for BEES students held at the Indoor Stadium from 21 to 23 June 2013 (9 am to 10 pm). They set up a stall selling drinks, waffle, fish-catching & balloon and took turns to man their stall from 10 am to 8 pm. Teachers-in-charge were Mrs Jane Huong and Ms Maxie.
12. 19 teachers and staff attended a 3-days Fire Marshall Course conducted by the Balai Bomba during the 2nd term holidays from 17 to 19 June. The 3rd term will also see the start of remedial and revision classes as we prepare your child(ren) to sit in confidence and perform well for their upcoming public exams (PSR & O Levels). Parents are urged to monitor your child(ren)’s academic performances. The student council is organizing the Pentathlon from 24 to 26 June from 2 pm to 5 pm in the school compound. The event includes futsal, basketball, captain ball, dodge ball & capture the flag. The teacher-in-charge is Mrs Shafeeullah.
SAS-PTA will be organizing a “No-Uniform Day” on Monday, 1 July to raise funds for the school. All students and parents are encouraged to support this event.
I would also like to highlight to all parents the need to be punctual in the payment of school fees as well as being punctual in sending and fetching your child(ren) to/from school
Further, should you decide to withdraw your child, please ensure that 3 months written notice is given to the school or else you will be charged for the three months or lose your deposit and leaving certificate will not be issued. With God’s blessings and favour, we will stand in Courage and Love, to fly the flag of SAS high and confidently, in every aspect of our school life.
JANE KEASBERRY PRINCIPAL