St. Andrew’s School is a Christian school managed and run by the Anglican Church in Bandar Seri Begawan, Negara Brunei Darussalam. It was founded by Rev. Canon Paul En Siong in January 1957 with an initial intake of 70 students. From a very modest beginning, St. Andrew’s School has become a very wellestablished educational institution in Brunei.
The school is managed by a Board of Governors, headed by The Right Reverend Danald Jute. The Principal is Mdm Tan Lian Lian. Enrolment in the school is always in great demand. Today, it has an enrolment of over 1,694 boys and girls in 50 classes (Kindergarten 2 & 3 – 7 classes, Year 1 to 6 – 24 classes and Yr 7 to Yr 9, Sec 4 & 5 – 19 classes). It is a multicultural school consisting of students of different races and nationalities with local Bruneians forming well over 60% of the student population.
In line with its commitment towards excellence in education, the school emphasizes the importance of good moral conduct, good behaviour and discipline. A Student Council consisting of suitable candidates from the Upper Secondary (nominated by teachers), is formed at the beginning of each academic year.
Teachers are encouraged to contact parents on discipline, academic and any other issues concerning the students. The school has 78 teachers and 22 non-teaching staff in 2017. They are mainly recruited from Brunei Darussalam, Malaysia, Singapore, Philippines and India. In line with His Majesty’s Government policy on localization, the school is gradually being staffed by local teachers. From 1978, the Ministry of Education has been sending qualified local teachers to teach Bahasa Melayu in the school.
Further, since 1971, all the Islamic Religious Knowledge teachers have been seconded by the Ministry of Religious Affairs.